O.K. Sawa. Sawa.
This is an authentic and immature post. Seriously. Let’s take a step back today and ponder the awesomeness of the unexpected and celebrate EVERYTHING.
Seriously. A top 20 list.
1. I live in Africa. I frickin’ live in Africa. In Kenya. In Nairobi.
2. I speak Kiswahili everyday.
3. Roosters wake me up every morning. They have no snooze button.
4. I drink Kenyan tea every morning.
5. I teach amazing students at Kenyatta University in the Department of Theatre Arts and Film Technology who are learning great things.
6. I have been to an American Embassy. That was cool.
7. I have no car.
8. I have learned to make chapati!
9. I have ridden in a matatu.
10. I am directing and writing an original show with 12 students called KUMI NA MBILI that performs March 27 and will be filmed on a rooftop overlooking the Nairobi skyline on March 28.
11. I let a student film crew scout at my house today and they will shoot a film using various locations in my home on Malawi Close.
12. My brother Daniel arrives on Thursday and we are going to Lake Nakuru and Maasai Mara and I will get to be a mzungu tourist in Africa while he visits for a week.
13. I see a pair of ibis every day.
14. I love seeing students I know as I walk across campus wearing my Kenyan baseball cap to ward off the sun.
16. Peter Ajang!
17. I have learned something new every day but mostly I have learned about TIME.
18. I live in Africa. I frickin’ live in Africa. In Kenya. In Nairobi. I love Kenya. Kenya is cool.
19. Lala salama means good-night in Kiswahili. Say it. Lala salama. Kiswahili is cool.
20. I have a wife who loves me, we speak on the phone every night, and I am grateful for her every minute for letting me have this awesome experience. Lauren is cool.